7th grade · SMS Staff Highlights

Mr. Moss Interview

Click Here for the Video!

Student: Before teaching at SMS, you were in the Air Force. Why did you choose to go there?

~Mr. Moss- “So I was in the air force to serve my country. It was really important to me. I think that we have a lot of great things, a lot of people don’t have, and I thought it was important for me a least to show my support and my appreciation of that.”

Student: What made you pursue teaching? Especially 7th graders at SMS?

Mr.Moss- “So I was a big brother in the Big Brother program when I was in the air force, and I just love the impact I made in my little brother life. I just realized that I wanted to work with kids, and be a teacher and be a teacher and how much I enjoyed being a student, and I wanted to be part of that. So I chose SMS because it is such a great school district, and I really love the superintendent and assistant superintendent and the vision for the school. And then when I met Mr. Parliman and Mr. Sawicki, I thought Great leadership and the team I work with is fantastic and also the kids. The district is apart of a small school and that really excited me, and so far I loved it.”  

Student: What are your teaching methods?

~Mr.Moss- “My teaching methods I really focus on being Student Centered which means to me those who do the speaking do the learning. So while a lot of what I do is to be about the students really having a voice in the classroom and different experiences, to have the rights to get up and to do things, instead of just sitting there and listening to the teacher all the time. So that is so important for me.”

Student: Why are you so focused on “grit”?

~Mr. Moss- “To me, Grit is important because everyone focuses on ability and I think so much in life is not just about the ability you have, but about how hard you are going to work and pushing through things when it becomes tough and trying to install that into my students right from the beginning.”

Student: How do you plan to make the math grades this year improve from last?

~Mr. Moss- “Well, I think it just hard work and ai think its just focusing on the P.S.S.A during the school year, so we ware going to have P.S.S.A Fridays, from October- on where we just make it fun and look at P.S.S.A problems and tryna investigate and analyze those problems to make sure that we understand in what you’re looking for and to just give our best.”

One thought on “Mr. Moss Interview

1. It must have been fun in the Big Brother program! I love learning more about my favorite SMS teacher! I hope to learn more in the future!